The component warpage of an instrument panel produced using a complex cooling system is to be reduced.
Instrument panel, filling simulation, mold temperature, cooling channel system, Simulation of mold temperature for a automobile instrument panel
Challenge / task
A filling simulation with a given gating system and the prescribed cooling channel system is conducted. Subsequently, possible improvements are elaborated and reviewed with further simulations.
Objectives / goal
- Conducting a filling simulation including shrinkage and warpage analysis using AUTODESK MOLDFLOW taking into account the impact of the complex cooling channel system on component warpage
- Examining the cooling system concerning its effectiveness and identifying critical areas (Hotspots, consistent cooling)
- Examining the gating system concerning a balanced filling and the position of air pockets and weld lines
- Establishing improvement suggestions and iterating the simulation with an improved distribution system / cooling channel system
Results & benefits
- Lower filling pressure thanks to more balanced filling > lower clamp force > possible usage of smaller machine (exact knowledge concerning the requirements of machine needed)
- Consistent engulfment of a long, narrow mould core (hood driver’s side) > prevention of strong forces at the core > increased tool durability
- Precise knowledge of cycle times and process parameters
- Consistent component cooling > even volumetric shrinkage > less warpage > improved component quality
- Weld lines and air pockets could be positioned in desired areas > precise knowledge of necessary tool ventilation