During the manufacturing of a car lamp socket, strong warping tendencies occur. The component exceeds the set tolerance range in certain areas.
Key points: Warpage, component warpage, warpage reduction, warping tendency
Challenge / task
- During the manufacturing of a lamp socket, strong warping tendencies occur. The concentricity of a ring support exceeds the set tolerance range.
- In order to minimize warpage, alterations concerning the component geometry as well as the point of injection for a new tool are assessed.
Objectives / goal
By means of filling simulations, the impact on the warpage is assessed while altering
- Component geometry
- Injection system/gate position
Results & benefits
- Actual, empirical warpage was retrieved in simulation / calculation results could serve as comparable figures for assessing potential modification measures in order to reduce warpage.
- By altering only the injection position in the simulation, no warpage reduction could be achieved.
- Warpage causes could be detected in the component’s geometrical shaping
- Component geometry was purposefully altered and new simulations to examine warpage were conducted
- A new component geometry with significantly less warpage tendency could be detected